Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sugared Nuts


Sugared Nuts

¼ cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 Tbls. water
¼ tsp. vanilla
3 ½ cups nuts (Walnuts, pecans, Almonds ect)

Place the first five ingredients into a heavy sauce pan. Over medium-high heat stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour in nuts and mix, stir continually until syrup becomes completely sugared over the nuts.


My family used to make this when I was a girl. As an adult I often wanted to make them but didn't have the recipe. A friend made them to serve at an open house for her son who was going on a mission. Well I got the recipe Yeah!!!

These are as good as what you buy at the fair.

5 comments:

dpjc said...

Hi Jeanne,

I was searching for chess pie recipes and came across your blog. I too have a blog devoted to food.

Check it out.

http://dpjc-cookbook.blogspot.com/

Any constructive comments are welcome. Your pie looks DE-licious, by the way.

Randal Byrd
Houston, TX

Pickle Pants said...

Hi
I was looking for a sugared nut recipe so that i could sprinkle them ontop of ice cream and came upon your blog. Brilliant.
I have a question though. I just made your recipe but mine didnt quite turn out how yours did at all. In fact not at all. The sugared stuff didnt set nad go all crumbly over the nuts it just stayed gooey. Any idea why this happened.
Thanks

Jeanne said...

All I can say is that you have to keep sturing the nuts over the low heat untill the coating turns to sugar. When it does then you spread it out to cool.

Marylois said...

Yes, I would think that the candy needs to reach hard ball stage and get all sugary.

Pickle Pants said...

Thanks i will give it a go again and stir stir stir